Specimen and Order Submission Quick Tips
- Submit one specimen per test (excluding allergens).
- Tip: Avoid submitting one specimen for multiple tests (especially across ordering systems (e.g., Interface/Connect/Manual Requisitions); as this can delay results and contribute to compromised specimens.
- Submit specimens at the temperature listed in the “Storage/Transport Temperature” section of the JMLAB Laboratory Test Directory.
- Tip: This helps mitigate any risks (repeat testing, shipping delays) associated with delays in the preanalytical and analytical phases of testing.
- Use JMLAB barcoded temperature specific color coded bags.
- Tip: This helps our clients, couriers, and internal JMLAB team members avoid and easily identify the optimal temperature for maintaining patient specimens.
- Use JMLAB specimen kits (JMLAB supply #47808) when submitting blocks, plastic slide mailers, and DNA scroll or bullet tubes.
- Tip: Bigger doesn’t always equal better, but in this case, it does! The JMLAB specimen kit helps protect small specimens and prevent them from being overlooked or misplaced during all aspects of pre-analytical phase (including client site preparation and courier transport).
For more details, please see our list of information and handling instructions below.
- Specimen Transport Guide
- Technical Guidelines and General Information
- Ordering Instructions: Canadian Clients
- Ordering Instructions: International Clients
- JMLAB eSupply
- Units and Abbreviations Key
- Unified Code for Units of Measure
- Charting Reference Intervals and Flagging Abnormal Results
- Quantity Not Sufficient for Testing
Special Specimen Collection and Handling
- Paraffin Tissue and Extracted Nucleic Acid Transport Kit
- Parasep SF Patient Care Pack Information
- Rectal ESwab Carbapenemase Gene Detection by PCR
- Umbilical Cord Collection Instructions
- Sample Collection for the Diagnosis of STD Using Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests
- Trace Elements Specimen Collection Guide
- Infectious Disease
- Cytopathology Collection Instructions
- JMLAB Consultation Collection Instructions
- Hemostasis/Thrombosis Specimens
- Renal Biopsy Transport Kit Collection Instructions
- Muscle and Nerve Transport Kit Collection Instructions
- Fecal Stool Collection, Preservation, and Transport
- Urine Collection and Transport (24 Hour)
- QuantiFERON-TB Gold In-Tube
- Preparing a Blood Smear (Video)
- Bone Marrow Biopsy (Video)